Advocacy at the highest level.
We pursue appeals on behalf of clients seeking to correct an unjust decision. We frequently represent clients on appeal from decisions where the client was represented by another firm in the underlying case.
We advise our clients on whether an appeal makes good business sense. For us, it is not about simply taking every case as far as it can go; it is about navigating to the right resolution for each individual client. Our attorneys handle appeals, writs, and various other appellate proceedings in state and federal courts in Minnesota and throughout the United States, including the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. Most of our lawyers are admitted to practice in a variety of appellate courts, including the federal circuits and United States Supreme Court.
We take great pride in our ability to prepare appeals, write persuasive appellate briefs, and advocate aggressively for our clients. We excel at oral advocacy. In addition to representing our own clients, we are also available to take appellate matters for other lawyers and law firms seeking more focused appellate experience.
Our attorneys have prevailed in numerous appellate proceedings, including:
- Affirmed jury verdict at Federal Circuit Court of Appeals in patent infringement case involving circuit boards.
- Affirmed dismissal before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals of a multi-million dollar contract claim brought by former Napster executive. Read more
- Affirmed summary judgment dismissal of claim brought by former client against his attorneys alleging breach of fiduciary duty, malpractice and breach of contract.
- Overturned summary judgment dismissal of declaratory judgment case against City of Minneapolis over responsibility for repair and replacement of industrial-size retaining wall located in Linden Hills. Read more
- Successfully defended district court’s denial of a tenant’s claim of right to extend lease for ten additional years before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. Read more
- In suit brought by former shareholder after merged of Delaware corporation, affirmed dismissal of claims regarding: breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and unjust enrichment against shareholders.
- Our lawyers have also helped shape the law in the area of shareholder and closely-held company disputes, representing clients in the following reported appellate decisions: U.S. Bank v. Cold Spring Granite Co., 802 N.W.2d 363 (Minn. 2011); Bolander v. Bolander, 703 N.W.2d 529 (Minn. Ct. App. 2005); Powell v. Anderson Corp., 660 N.W.2d 107 (Minn. 2003); Haley v. Forcelle, 669 N.W.2d 48 (Minn. Ct. App. 2003); Gunderson v. Alliance of Computer Professionals, Inc., 628 N.W.2d 173 (Minn. Ct. App. 2001); Wessin v. Archives, 592 N.W.2d 460 (Minn. 1999); Foy v. Klapmeier, 992 F.2d 774 (8th Cir. 1999); and Miller Waste Mills v. Mackay, 520 N.W.2d 490 (Minn. Ct. App. 1994).